What inspired me?
I love all things rustic. That feeling pans depth of age and the relative reaction an obedient has due to the change in environment causes the object to enhance physically such as colour. And if this mutation is focused on in the art that is the object, the product (in my opinion) will become better. Now this doesn't work with everything. However. Inspired by the rustic movement, I decided to use new materials and make a rustic but modern looking the idea. This is how I did it.
What will you need?
-a length of wood that is around to the width of your phone. I used a I've that was 80mm by 1m (18mm thick)
-two M7 bolts (around about 50mm long)
-7.5mm drill bit
-jig saw or table saw
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1 - Marking Out and Cutting
The first step was to first measure the dimensions of my phone as I wanted to design to fit my phone. I added 40mm to the height and 15mm I then drew these measurements (190mm by 85mm) onto the piece of wood I chose and then used a tri-square to ensure all of the lines were squared up.
I then grabbed a length of maple and decided to make a base that was 80mm by 85mm. I made this a little thicker and it was 40mm thick. I wanted a very sturdy base.
Using the table saw, I cut a 15 degree angle on both ends of the maple. This just added an angle for the phone to lean against and added a bit of aesthetics to the overall design. I used the disk sander and palm sander to get rid of the marks on the wood, the burs, and to finish the wood.
Step 2: Step 2 - Drilling
The next step was to drill the holes for the bolts to screw into. I used my ruler to mark a line horizontal to the bottom that was 25mm above. I then marked out two points that were 15mm away from both sides. I then used a 7.5mm drill bit to drill straight through the first piece. Using a clamp, I camped these two pieces together and then began to drill these holes 20mm deeper.
Step 3: Step 3 - Assembly and Finish
The next step was the assembly. This was a very easy assembly as both pieces held together using the two bolts. I used a adjustable spanner to tighten these two bolts into the wood and made sure they were sticking out by around 12mm. I then decided to add a few coats of boiled linseed oil.
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017