This is a super-easy recipe to pickle your favourite veggies! Takes all of 10 minutes to get done, and enjoy for months!
3 hog plums
5 Indian gooseberries (Phyllanthus emblica)
3 lemons / limes
2 raw mangoes
2 5-inch mango ginger (curcuma amada)
3-4 chilli peppers or jalapenos
½ cup of sunflower, or olive oil
½ cup of sea salt for brining
A mason jar for storing the pickle
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Prepping & Pickling
- Clean, dry and cut the vegetables as you like.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cut vegetables, and sea salt per taste.
- Add sufficient oil to cover the vegetables.
- Add juice of 4 limes and mix thoroughly.
- Clean and dry a glass jar.
- Fill the jar with the picked vegetables for long-term storage.
The juice of lime and salt act as natural preservatives while oil blocks the moisture.
The pickle stays good for more than 6 months without refrigeration, and longer with refrigeration
Step 2: Ways to Enjoy Them (if You Can't Think of Any!)
The pickled vegetables
1. Can be consumed as is, as a side, or in burgers and sandwiches.
2. Can be used in any food preparation. Especially, in the dishes where there is use of lemon and salt.
3. You can add spices of your choice to the pickled vegetables as and when you need. Such as, roasted and powdered red chilli, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Or, season it with onion and garlic.
Participated in the
Canning and Pickling Contest 2016