Sandwiches are one of the best options for a picnic, and carrying them in their very own bread box is a fun and easy way to get them from here to there.1 Whether you go with fancy options like roasted veggies with goat cheese; classics like ham and cheese, peanut butter and jelly, or a BLT; or even dainty tea sandwiches like watercress and cucumber, this awesome bread box makes for a pretty presentation that's sure to please.
Tip: You might want to also bring some soup as a part of your picnic. Then you can dip and nosh on your empty bread box after enjoying the sandwiches.
1Note: It should be mentioned that I'm kind of a huge fan of edible cups (both gummy and cake) and spoons - basically I'm of the opinion that the only thing that makes good food better is being able to eat the container it came in.
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- A square or rectangle loaf of bread - you can bake your own or use store-bought, but either way you'll want something with high, straight sides
- Sandwich fixin's (meats, cheeses, roasted veggies, egg or chicken salad, even peanut butter and jelly - just about anything your sandwich-loving heart desires will work wonderfully). You can even use different fillings since you'll have a couple layers of sandwiches
- A sharp knife
- Cutting board
Step 2: Inside Out, Upside Down
- Position your loaf of bread on your cutting board in front of you
- Slice off the top about 1/2 inch down - this will be the lid of your bread box
- Insert your knife vertically into the bread approximately 1/2 inch in from the edge of the loaf and cut towards the corners using a gentle sawing motion. Stop about 1/2 from the corner of the loaf
- Repeat on the other 3 sides of the loaf so that there is a cut-out square in the center of your loaf (from the top down)
- Insert your knife horizontally into the base of the loaf approximately 1/2 inch from the bottom and carefully cut across to free the inner cube of bread (you only need to do this along one side to release the inner cube of bread)
Step 3: Sandwichy Goodness
- Cut the inner portion of the bread into slices (you'll want an even number of slices, unless you want to do triple-decker sandwiches). If you want to, you can toast these slices
- Assemble your sandwiches using whatever fillings you'd like (you can use different fillings if you'd like so that you'll have a variety of sandwiches in your bread box)
- Cut into sandwichy portions
- Stack the sandwiches and carefully place them back into the bread box
- Top with the lid, tie the whole thing up with a pretty ribbon, and enjoy with other picnic goodies! (Tip: You might want to also bring some soup as a part of your picnic. Then you can dip and nosh on your empty bread box after enjoying the sandwiches.)
Finalist in the
Play With Your Food Challenge