Introduction: Pig Christmas Ornament
We created a flying pig ornament for Christmas presents. It is a kid friendly activity and loads of fun.
Step 1: Gather Items
Collect the items you need to create the pig.
For blown egg
1. One Egg
2. A small nail
For Salt Dough
1. 1/4 flour
2. 4 Tablespoons Salt
3. Pinch of Alum
4. 3 Tablespoons warm water
Step 2: Create Pig
1. Using nail poke two small holes in top and bottom of egg.
2. Blow out yoke and white
3. Rinse interior and exterior with warm water and pat dry with paper towel.
Make Salt Dough
1. Combine flour, salt and alum and mix
2. Add water and knead into a dough
Dough should be slightly firm and tacky
1. Make four small equal sized balls of salt dough for the feet about the size of the tip of a pinky finger
2. Shape feet and attach to bottom of egg
3. Make a snout from salt dough with about one and a half times dough of the feet and make snout and attach to pig over the hole on the fat side of the egg. Use a pencil end to make the nostrils.
4. Make two more dough balls smaller than the feet and shape into ears and attach.
5. Place pig on cookie sheet and bake at 250 degrees F for 90 minutes. Let completely cool.
Step 3: Gather Supplies to Decorate Pig
1. Pink and Black paint
2. Paint brushes
3. Pink pipe cleaner
5. Clear Tape
6. Super glue
7. White construction paper
Step 4: Decorate Pig
1. Paint entire pig pink and let dry
2. Paint black dots for eyes
3. Cut pink pipe cleaners into one inch pieces and curl for tail, insert into other hole in pig
4. Cut Ribbon in to 4" pieces. Fold over end and make loop to hang. Use tape to secure loop
5. Cut construction paper into wings
6. Super glue wings on sides and ribbon on top font behind ears to hang.
Participated in the
Homemade Gifts Contest 2015