This old pair of bike gloves was splitting at the end of the fingers and after several attempts at fixing them with a combination of sewing and superglue, they were on the brink of becoming garbage. However, instead of tossing them we decided to try plasti-dipping them to extend their life.
The process took about 30 minutes to complete with an additional 4 hours of drying time. After about 3 weeks of biking nearly every day, the gloves are doing well with the plasti-dip remaining firm.
There was an initial loss of dexterity towards the fingertips, but after the first couple rides the plasti-dipped portions began to loosen up quite a bit. This, coupled with the increase in grip definitely improved the functionality, performance, and life of these once doomed gloves.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
For this you will need
- An old pair of gloves
- A pair of latex gloves
- A good amount of paper towel
- Performix Plast-Dip container
Step 2: Prep
- Clean gloves of any dirt or grease using soap and water and allow to dry.
- Spread out paper towel over your work area.
- Open Plasti-Dip container and stir slowly but thoroughly for approximately 1 minute.
- Once stirred, put on the blue latex gloves.
- Put on the damaged gloves over-top.
Step 3: Dipping the Gloves
- Insert finger at a time into the plasti-dip. Our product recommended doing this at a rate of 1" every 5 seconds.
- Repeat for remaining fingers.
- Repeat for other hand.
Step 4: Allow to Dry
- Leave Gloves on hands and allow to dry.
- Doing this outside is recommend due to the smell of the product and the possibility of spilling.
Step 5: Repeat As Neccasary
- Repeat process to desired thickness.
- We did two coats and it seemed thick enough.
Step 6: Dry
- Have someone help remove the gloves once they are dry to the touch.
- Allow them to dry and cure. Check the manufacturers recommendation, ours took approximately 4 hours.
Step 7: Go Out for a Rip!!!
- Now you can conquer all those tails and jumps you always dreamed about...
Participated in the