Introduction: Platanos Maduros
These delicious, sweet, and healthy Platanos Maduros (plantains) are great for a quick snack or as part of a breakfast of Arroz y Habichuelas ( rice and beans) or Arepas con Queso Frito (Arepas with fried cheese).
I had to fight off my family from eating them in order to get a picture, so I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Step 1: Ingredients
For this recipe you will only need two things.
For this type of dish you want to buy yellow or almost black plantains. Do NOT buy the green plantains. Those are not sweet and are for making tostones.
An easy mistake would be to make this dish with bananas. Don't do that! Plantains are slightly larger and are really different. I've never seen bananas used for this, but it would probably be a disaster. However if you try that, I would really like to know how it turns out so please comment or send me a message.
If you don't live in a very multicultural place you may have trouble finding these. For me, I just went right down to a local grocery store. If you can't find them, try going to a Latin American grocery store or something.
2. Olive oil - you can use your typical cooking oil but olive oil is both yummy and healthy!
Step 2: Peel and Cut the Plantains
1. If your plantains are very yellow you should wait a few days for them to ripen. You want them to be as black as possible when you cook them, because, like bananas, that's when they are the sweetest. Take a look at the peel in my pictures for reference.
2. Peel it like a banana!
3. Cut it in horizontal slices, but slightly diagonal, because you want to get that characteristic plantain shape. (See pictures! )
Step 3: Fry Them Up!
1. Put olive oil in the frying pan and put them in to fry.
2. Check to see if the bottom is getting golden brown in color, and when it is, flip and fry on the other side!
Step 4: Enjoy!
When done, put them on a plate and watch them disappear faster than you could imagine! Yum!!! :)
Note: I used 3 plantains and got a bit over a plate of them!
Participated in the
Snacks Contest 2016