Introduction: Polish Honey and Spice Gingerbread (piernik)
Here is my version of the traditional Polish piernik - a gingerbread flavoured with honey and spices- perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This gingerbread lasts for at least a week and also seems to improve in flavour over time when the spices have had chance to mix and mingle. This would also makes a great food gift during this festive season. I hope you enjoy!
1 cup honey
1 cup black coffee
8 oz butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 tsp baking powder
4 cups plain (all purpose) flour
1 lemon zested
1 tsp all spice (pimento)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
preparation time: 20 minutes
cooking time: 30-40 minutes
- preheat oven to 190C and grease/line a baking pan. I used a 9x12 pan, but you can also make this in a loaf tin.
- add honey, coffee, sugar, butter and spices to a saucepan and mix over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved and the butter melted. Leave to cool for a while you prepare the other ingredients.
- break eggs into a bowl and add the lemon zest and whisk for a few minutes until bubbly
- slowly pour in the melted butter, sugar and honey mixture onto the whisked eggs and keep beating for a few minutes until fully incorporated.
- Be careful not to add the melted mixture too quickly as this may curdle the eggs
- add sifted flour and baking powder to the wet mixture and stir well to incorporate
- pour into greased baking tin
- bake for 30-40 minutes - it is ready when a skewer/tooth pick comes out clean.
- leave to cool completely before cutting into squares
- eat and share with your nearest and dearest :)
I hope you enjoy and try this out - let me know how you get on.