Introduction: Pomegranate Natural Dye
- 5 pomegranates
- 2 big cooking pots
- 3 cups of 800ML water (each pot)
- 1 yard of muslim or cotton fabric
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Peeling Process
- Peel all 5 pomegranates and separate the skin from the seeds.
- Each one in a different bowl.
Step 2: Water in the Pot
- Add 3 800ML cups of water on each pot.
- Heat up the water for 5 minutes.
Step 3: Boil the Skin and Seeds
- Pour the skin in one pot and the seeds in the other one.
- Boil the skin and seeds for 15 minutes.
Step 4: Add the Fabric
- Cut the 1 yard fabric into 1/2 yard to have two pieces for each pot.
- Add each fabric to the boiling pots.
- Boil both for 40 minutes.
- After the 40 minutes turn off the heat and leave the fabric in the pot.
Step 5: Overnight
- Allow the dyebath to cool overnight.
- Remove the dyestuff and drain, rinse either in the sink or in the washer the next day.
- Let it air dry afterwords.
Step 6: Final Results
- Pomegranate skin = Golden yellow color
- Pomegranate seeds = Light Red color