Introduction: Portable Hot-Chocolate Maker
This little hot-chocolate maker will quickly prepare hot-chocolate in your car or at home. just add water and hot-chocolate mix and plug it in to your 12v to 110v car adapter and you hot-chocolate will be ready in 5 to 7 minutes.
A while a go i thought that it would be really cool to be able to have fresh hot-chocolate in the car this winter. I wanted to make a little gadget that would prepare the hot-chocolate with little effort. The biggest problem would be to heat the hot-chocolate. The Idea for electrical heating came from this cool teapot that quickly boils water using an electric heating element. So I got a heating element that was small and would fit the travel mug.
Please let me know what you think, i'd love your feedback. Also you can vote for my project if you like it. Thanks!
Step 1: Parts
The parts you'll need are:
- A coffee travel mug
- A lid from a jar that will fit nicely on the travel mug
- A switch
- A heating element that will fit in your travel mug
- A 12V to 110V car adapter (for preparing the hot -chocolate in the car.)
Step 2: Securing the Heating Element to the Lid
- Cut the wire of the heating element where you want to add your power switch. (more on power switch in next step)
- Cut out a hole in the jar lid just big enough for the base of the heating element to fit in snugly. If you heating element is like mine and is not straight them be sure to cut your hole enough to the side so that when you heating element is placed in the hole and the lid on the mug, it will still fit in the mug.
- Put the heating element through the hole so that the base fits tightly in the hole and the heating element comes out the bottom
Step 3: Adding the On/Off Switch
Secure the wire connected to the heating element to one end of the switch connect the other half with the plug to the other side of the switch. Or like me can can use a longer cord instead of the one that came with the heating element to make the hot-chocolate maker able to make hot-chocolate in the back seat of the car.
Step 4: Preparing the Hot-Chocolate
Before you get in the car:
- Add filtered water to the travel mug so that it is full but not so much that it is hard to carry without spilling.
- Pour In your hot-chocolate mix and stir a couple of times.
In the car:
- With the power switch turned off plug your hot chocolate maker into the car adapter.
- Place the travel mug in a cup holder.
- Place the jar lid on the travel mug.
- Turn on the power switch.
- Let your hot-chocolate heat up for 5 to 7 minutes or until warm enough to drink.
- When ready: turn the power switch off and replace the cooking lid with the travel mug's original lid
- Enjoy your hot-chocolate!
Runner Up in the
Glovebox Gadget Challenge