Intro: Potato Korma Which Tastes Like Non-vegetarian Dish
A very tasty stew made with potatoes, which smells and tastes like a non-vegetarian dish. We call this stew as Korma in our language. Please read on to see how to make this stew.
Step 1: Prepare Potatoes
- Take about 500 grams of potatoes and peel the skin
- Cut the potatoes into cubes of about 3/4th inch size
Step 2: Ingredients Required
- Five Green chilies
- One teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- One teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds
- One teaspoon of Poppy seeds
- Two medium sized onions
- Half a coconut
- One inch long piece of Ginger
- Five large garlic cloves
- Handful of Mint leaves
- Handful of Coriander leaves
- Handful of Curry leaves
- Five medium sized tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- One tablespoon of cooking oil
- Two teaspoons of Coriander powder
- One teaspoon red chili powder
- One teaspoon Garam masala powder
- Half a teaspoon of Turmeric powder
- One teaspoon of roughly ground all spices containing Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Bay leaf and Star Anise.
Step 3: Chop and Cut
- Remove the coconut from shell and cut into small pieces
- Chop the onions
- Cut the tomatoes into pieces
Step 4: Make Paste
In a mixer / grinder make pastes of following ingredients
- Make Ginger and Garlic paste
- Coconut, green chilies, poppy seeds, Cumin seeds and Fenugreek seeds all mixed together into paste
- Make tomato puree
- Lightly grind the onions
Step 5: Preparation Step 1
- Heat a tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan
- Add the all spices containing Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Bay leaf and Star Anise to the heated oil
- Add ginger garlic paste and mix well
- Add roughly ground onions
- Add mint leaves, coriander leaves and curry leaves
- Add tomato puree
Cook all these ingredients in oil till raw smell disappears
Step 6: Preparation Step 2
- Add the Coriander powder, Red chili powder, Garam masala powder and Turmeric powder to the cooked ingredients in the pan and mix well
- Now add the paste made with coconut and other spices to the pan and cook for about five minutes.
Step 7: Add Potatoes
- Now add the potato cubes and salt to the mixture in the pan.
- And about one cup of water to the mix.
- Cover the pan and cook till the potato cubes become tender and absorb all flavor from the spices
- Now you can see that the stew has thickened with properly cooked potato cubes in it.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
This dish tastes like a non-vegetarian stew and can be eaten with Rice, Parotas, Chapatis, Bread and Poori