Serves: 2 ⎟Time: 10 minutes
If you have lots of extra potato salad (or mashed potato) leftovers, this is a fun, easy way to get rid of it fast!
3 cups potato salad
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 small onion
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup crumbled bacon
1 tablespoon minced rosemary
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Prep the Ingredients.
- Mash the potato salad. (Skip if using mashed potatoes)
- Grate the cheese.
- Lightly beat the egg.
- Dice the onion.
Step 2: Form the Patties.
- In a large bowl, add the mashed potatoes, cheese, flour, egg, and bonus ingredients (if using).
- PRO Tip: if you don't have a potato masher, use your hands and squeeze.
- Mix everything together with your hands, or a wooden spoon.
- Form into patties of desired size, and transfer to a plate.
Step 3: Fry the Patties.
- Pour a layer of oil into a skillet, about 1/4 an inch deep.
- Bring to medium-high heat.
- When the oil starts to shimmer, add the potato patties.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes, depending on size, until each side is golden brown.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Grease a baking sheet, or line with foil.
- Place patties onto the sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, flip the patties over, and bake another 10 minutes, until browned.
Step 4: Serve.
** Customize this recipe to your taste! Add hot sauce, scallions, Gruyere, or nuts to the potato mixture. **
- Serve on top of a salad.
- Serve with a fried egg and sausage.
- Serve with meat of your choice.