Using Chirp (Daily build) for setting up the Baofeng UV-5RA VHF/UHF tranceiver (hopefully)legally for GMRS license holders who wants to use the FRS, GMRS and MURS channels without getting in trouble with the FCC.
1. Buy USB cable for it (I found mine on ebay) and install using driver from Miklor or the CD.
2. Install Chirp (Daily build)
3. Download setup file (GMRS-MURS-FRS1-7-and-1-COP.img) from this site
4. Open setup-file in Chirp. Load stations from radio -and delete them. Copy and paste stations from setup file instead
5. Upload to radio.
6. Disconnect and you're done!
So why are these seemingly simple instructions even posted?
1. Because the FCC has determined that you now need to transmit more “narrow” on some channels than you used to -and that is “enforced” in this file
2. Because the UV-5RA is simply too powerful (even on the low transmission setting) for use on many FRS channels -and those are removed from this setup file.
3. Because researching this information took a lot of time and now you don't need to waste yours.
4. Because the last station is an example of how to block yourself from accidentally transmitting on a "listen only" channel. The channel used here is the local Police dispatch. Find your local station on http://www.radioreference.com.
Use these instructions at your own risk.
UPDATE/IMPORTANT: Don't buy this radio for use without a Technichian licens (or better). This radio is not approved for GMRS/FRS.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.