This instructable will teach you how to:
1. Install the Java Development Kit.
2. Set system variables to easily be able to compile and execute java files.
3. Compile and execute a Java file from Command Prompt.
** This is mainly for Windows 7 and Vista.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Download Latest JDK
1.Follow this link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
2. Click Download JDK under the download Java Standard Edition panel.
3. Choose your operating System and agree to the terms of service. **
** This will probably be Windows since your using Command Prompt.
Step 2: Setting Path for Command Prompt
1. Open the Command Prompt .
2 Type "set Path=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\bin" .*
3. Type " set HomePath= C:\Program Files\Java\ jdk1.6.0_21 *
* If you have a later jdk ( i.e. jdk 1.6.0_22) replace the portion that says jdk1.6.0_21 with it.
** If you don't know which jdk you have go to: start pane( at bottom left corner of you screen)>click run> click browse>Then go to C:\Program Files\Java
*** Do not type quotation marks in steps 1-3 at command prompt.
Step 3: Creating a Simple Java Program
1. Go to Start pane>All Programs > Accessories> Notepad.exe
2 Copy and paste the following exactly:
public class helloworld
public static void main(String args)
3. a.Save file as: helloworld.java
b.Make sure "save as type" under where you typed the file name as "All Files" (as opposed to the default "Text-File").
c. You want to save your java file where the Command Prompt is set to open at.*
*Such as C:\Users\MyUserName
Step 4: Compiling and Executing the Program
1.First compile file by going to Command Prompt and typing javac helloworld.java
2.This will create a class file which you can execute by typing java helloworld
3. It should print "Hello World!" to show your done.
Step 5: Learn More
1. The next thing you want to do is get a textbook that will teach you the Java language, precisely.I recommend Programing and Problem Solving with Java
by Nell B. Dale and Chip Weems .
2. You can get this from Amazon.com following this link:
1 Person Made This Project!
patilsupriya made it!