Looking for the perfect medium between a tasty treat and something to help pack on the muscle? Protein packed cake mugs may be your solution. Protein and peanut butter (and optional banana) combine to create a dessert worthy of your workout. The recipe is short, simple, and cheap, created by college students for college students (or anyone looking to save a few dollars).
This recipe can be (and was) made in a dorm room - all you need is a few ingredients and a microwave.
Step 1: Ingredients and Materials
This recipe needs less than 10 ingredients, even with optional toppings. On campus stores will typically sell everything that you need for 20 dollars or less. For this protein packed cake mug you will need:
- 1 teaspoon vegetable (cooking) oil
- 3 tablespoons milk (any dairy alternative will work fine - we used almond milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flower
- 2 teaspoons protein powder (recommend chocolate flavored)
- 2 teaspoons peanut butter (recommend sun butter if allergic to nuts)
- Chocolate chips
- 5-10 Banana chips (or any other dried fruit chips)
- 1-2 inches of banana
- 8 oz (or larger) microwave-safe mug REMEMBER THAT CAKE BATTER WILL RISE, LARGE OR TALL MUG HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- Measuring spoons
- Stirring utensil
Step 2: Mix Wet Ingredients
All mixing is done in your chosen mug - no separate bowls are needed.
- Put 1 teaspoon vegetable (cooking) oil in mug
- Put 2 tablespoons milk (or milk alternative) in mug
- Put 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract in mug
- Mix well
The mixture will be brown and milky
Note: Rinse out mixing utensil and measuring spoons if desired
Step 3: Mix in Dry Ingredients
Again, mix directly into the mug with the wet mixture in it.
- Put 3 teaspoons brown sugar into the mug
- Put 1/4 teaspoon baking powder into the mug
- Pour 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour into the mug
- Put 2 teaspoons protein powder into the mug
Mix well again, making sure that all lumps dissolve. It may help to swirl the mug around in small circles to help smooth the mixture. The mixture is done when the consistency is smooth, color is brown, and all lumps of flour, sugar, and powder have been broken up and mixed in.
Note: Mixing ingredients together may create a mess, clean up if necessary
Step 4: Add Peanut Butter and Optional Ingredients
The steps up to this point have been the base of a protein packed cake mug. Now it is possible to add other ingredients that may be yummy or have other health benefits. We have chosen to add peanut butter as we enjoy the extra protein kick it gives to this treat.
- Mix 2 teaspoons peanut butter into the mixture
- Add whatever extra ingredients you would like, being sure to break up any fruit chips and mix everything thoroughly
- If adding banana, smush and mash about 1-2 inches of the banana into the mixture ensuring that there are no clumps
The peanut butter will make the mixture thicker, be sure to stir well and make sure the peanut butter is not settling on the bottom.
Step 5: Cook!
Again, make sure your mug is microwave safe before putting it in the microwave. Place mug in the microwave and cook for 1 minute 10 seconds. Be sure to remove your stirring utensil before starting the microwave. If batter seems too gooey upon removal, put it in for 15 second intervals until desired consistency is achieved. The mug cake is thoroughly cooked when its consistency is similar to thickness of banana bread.
Caution: Mug may be hot when removing from microwave; use oven mitts or towel
Step 6: Enjoy
You can garnish your food with fruit chips or chocolate chips if you choose. Eat the cake directly from the mug, do not try to remove. Congratulations on making this quick, cheap, and easy treat!