Intro: Pumpkin & Butternut Squash Soup
Pumpkin & Butternut Squash Soup
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 small pumpkin (or 1 can of pumpkin puree)
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 1 lb)
- Butter or olive oil for brushing
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 6 cups chicken broth
Step 2: Prepare Squash
- To roast pumpkin and squash, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Halve squash and remove seeds. Wrap in foil and place on baking sheet. Brush with melted butter (or olive oil) and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes, or until tender enough for the flesh to be scooped out with a spoon.
- Another option is to sauté the pumpkin and squash. To do this, peel and cube, and then cook until soft with the other vegetables (see next step)
Step 3: Sauté Vegetables
Heat butter or olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, carrot, celery and garlic until tender (about 10 minutes). If you did not roast the pumpkin/squash, add cubes at the same time as other vegetables. If roasted, scoop the pumpkin/squash into a pot once vegetables are tender. Add 5 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
Step 4: FInish Soup
Remove from heat and then puree soup in a blender until smooth. For a chunkier soup, set aside some of the veggies to incorporate after the rest of the soup is pureed. Stir in1/4 cup cream and add the more chicken stock until the soup is almost the consistency you want. Season to taste. Suggested spices: curry or chili powder, garlic powder, salt/pepper. Cinnamon or nutmeg gives it a more holiday taste.
Runner Up in the