Introduction: Pumpkin Smoked Bacon Quiche
Today, I invented this lovely pumpkin mushroom smoked bacon Quiche! Ooh yes! Can I serve you a big slice?
I used home-grown Musque de Provence pumpkin in here & home-grown rosemary, fresh! Check it all out again!
I served it with a lovely mixed side salad & a simple home-made balsamic vinegar dressing! A lovely dinner! :) MMM!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients!
Recipe: For 1 large Quiche
* For the oven roasted rosemary pumpkin:
550 gr of peeled pumpkin, treads & pits removed, cut up into bite-sized chunks/ home-grown
1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh rosemary, no stalks!/home-grown
10 grins of black pepper
10 grins of pink Himalayan salt in a grinder
1 + 1/2 tablespoon of a fruity extra virgin olive oil
* For the rest:
1 packet of 250 gr smoked bacon pieces ( Herta)
180 gr cleaned, white mushrooms, cut up into smaller pieces black pepper pink salt
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled & finely chopped/home-grown
1 medium white onion, peeled & finely chopped
1 teaspoon of fresh finely chopped rosemary, no stalks!
a fruity oil
200 ml of soy cream
2 eggs, beaten
150 gr shredded Gruyère cheese
1 packet of puff-pastry with margarine (Herta)
* For the side salad & dressing:
a bunch of mixed young salad leaves
4 tablespoons of a fruity oil
1 tablespoon of an aged balsamic vinegar
pink salt in a grinder
Step 2: Method!
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C ( 400 F) for about 10 minutes. In a large non-stick roasting pan, place pumpkin chunks in 1 layer in it. Scatter 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary over it all. Season with 10 grins of black pepper & 10 grins of pink salt. Finally, drizzle your fruity oil over & mingle with clean hands. Place into the hot oven & roast until tender. This took me 25 minutes. Take out of the oven & close oven door, to keep oven hot.
2. At the same time, take a large non-stick pan & heat up on high. When hot, add a few drizzles of that same oil & heat up. Add chopped garlic & onion. Fry for about 5 minutes & add chopped mushrooms & rosemary. Stir often & lower your heat if you need to. Now, add smoked bacon pieces & fry until cooked through & browned on all sides, stirring often. When ready, place fitted lid on.
3. 15 minutes before you are going to use your pastry, take it out of the fridge & out of the package. Leave it to rest rolled out. Preheat your oven again for 5 minutes or so. Take your iron cast tin & oil it. Place baking paper in it, neatly. Now, with 2 hands, put your pastry on top of your baking paper & place it neatly into the bottom & sides of the tin. Do this with help of your hands & fingers. See that there are not any holes, otherwise close them with the pastry. Prick the base several times with a fork. Put mushroom-bacon mix on the bottom, evenly spread out. This will be the 1st layer.
4. Now, put roasted cooled pumpkin pieces on top of it all,…this is your 2nd layer. In a bowl, crack 2 eggs. Beat loose with a fork. Pour soy cream in it. Whisk it all together. Add some seasoning. Mix with fork. Pour this cream-egg mix all over the pumpkin-veggie-bacon layers, all evenly divided. This will be your 3rd layer.
5. Finally, top with the grated cheese, all evenly spread out on top. This will be your 4th layer. Place into the hot oven & bake for 30 minutes. The last 8 minutes, turn oven lower to 175°C. Take out of the oven & your house will smell amazing! Wait a few moments & carefully take the Quiche out of the tin with help of spatulas onto a big large fitted plate. Carefully remove the excess of paper on the sides & bottom. Slice into big wedges & serve with that side salad & dressing! To make the dressing, take a smaller bowl & add all ingredients for the dressing. I seasoned it with 5 grins of black pepper & 5 grins off pink salt. Whisk together with a small whisk & taste. Yum! Enjoy, my sweeties! xxx You can also find this tasty recipe here on my blog: http://sophiesfoodiefiles.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/pumpkin-smokedbacon-quiche/