Punjabi Style Matar Paneer spiced and creamy curry with peas and cottage cheese ( Cottage cheese prepared at home by curding milk with a souring agent like lemon )
And serve with Paratha, Roti or Naan. This is one of the favorite dish among north Indian. To give some creamy texture in a matar paneer gravy we can add cashews paste .
Prep time : 15 mins
Cook time : 15 mins
Total time : 30 mins
Cuisine: north indian
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
• 200-250 gms cottage cheese / paneer
• 2 cups water
• 1 cup peas – fresh or frozen
• ½ tsp turmeric powder
• ¼ tsp red chili powder
• 1 tsp coriander powder
• 2 or 3 tbsp butter
• a few coriander leaves for garnishing
• salt as required
ingredients for the masala paste:
• 1 medium to large onion, chopped
• 3 medium sized ripe red tomatoes, chopped
• ½ inch ginger, chopped
• 2-3 garlic, chopped
• 1 green chili, chopped
• 1 tbsp chopped coriander, chopped
• 5-6 whole cashews, chopped
Step 2: Instructions
1. Blend all the ingredients mentioned under masala paste in a small grinder or blender to a smooth paste.
2. keep aside.
3. Heat oil or ghee.
4. Add the masala paste.
5. Fry for 6-7 minutes on a medium flame till the oil separates from the paste.
6. Add all the dry spice powders and stir.
7. add the peas, water and salt.
8. pressure cook till the peas are cooked.
9. when the pressure drops on its own, open the lid of the pressure cooker.
10. add the paneer cubes.
11. 20 gm cashews paste
12. 20 gm cream
13. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or till the paneer cubes get cooked.
14. don’t overcook as the paneer becomes dense and hard then.
15. garnish with coriander leaves.
16. Serve with rotis, parathas, naan o r rice along with pickle.
Step 3: Note
We can make this recipe by using a pan, first fry the masala paste in the pan. Then add the dry spice powders and stir. add the peas, salt and about 2 cups water. Cover the pan and cook the peas till they become soft. Add cream & cashews paste if the curry dries up whilst cooking, add more water. When curry become thick, dish is ready to serve
Participated in the
Indian Cuisine Contest