Introduction: Purple Mashed Potatoes
Tired of boring beige potatoes? Try purple ones!
1 pound purple fingerling potatoes*
1/2 cup of half and half (more or less depending on how creamy you like your potatoes.)
2 TB butter
salt and pepper, to taste
*It can sometimes to hard to find purple fingerling potatoes, especially by themselves. Many times they are sold together in bags with yellow and ruby fingerling potatoes. Try farmers markets or specialty grocers if you have a hard time finding them. They are a little pricier than russets, but taste great. I used a combination of purple and ruby for this recipe.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
1. Throughly wash the potatoes, they are less smooth and harder to clean than russet potatoes.
2. After washing, peel and diced them into smaller pieces.
3. Place the potatoes in boiling water and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, about 10-20 minutes.
4. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl.
1. Add the milk, butter, salt and pepper and whip together until the potatoes are fluffy.
2. You can serve the potatoes with more butter on top or gravy. A green sage gravy would look great on these!
Participated in the
The Contest Purple