The rocket was built using cardboard boxes that I had on hand. I used thin (3mm) cardboard for this Instructable. The cardboard tube that holds the rocket motor was salvaged from a old small rocket that was missing it's nose cone.
Step 1: Tools and Supplies
- Exacto Knife
- Tape Measure
- Titebond Wood Glue
- Digital Caliper
- 3/4" Drill bit
- Cutting Mat
- Straight Edge
- Painters Tape
Step 2: Cutting Out the Pieces
Pyramid definition I decided to go with a four sided one.
The square base is 5" by 5". And the four triangles are 5" wide and 9" tall. I was hoping this shape would help with aerodynamics (It didn't).
A 3/4" hole was hand bored into the base for the motor tube to be inserted and a small piece of cardboard was glued to the base to strengthen the motor area.
Step 3: Salvaging the Motor Tube
Having a donor rocket made the build a lot easier. The Exacto knife made short work removing the fins and launch guide tube.
Step 4: Glueing the Pieces Together
The blue painters tape was used as a helping hand while gluing up the pyramid.
Step 5: Installing the Motor Tube
The tube was shortened so that it touched the four sides internally at the top, and still protruded out of the bottom hole enough to insert the new motor.
Step 6: Paint and Power
I used a latex primer then put a coat of a grey paint on. I changed the color to brown and added Egyptian symbols to each side.
The rocket will be powered by a C6-0. The "C" describes the power for this engine, each letter has twice the power of the previous letter. The first number describes the average thrust, the higher the number the more thrust it has. The final number is for how many seconds delay before the ejection charge.
This is a single stage booster rocket that does not have a ejection charge for a recovery ( IE:parachute) system. Of course it should have one but it's heavy and I don't think it will go very high. If it fly's well then the next one will have a recovery system.
I bought the Model rocket engines at Depot Train and Hobbyin Cleveland Ohio. This is the last brick and motor store in Cleveland.
Step 7: Test Flights
Both flights lifted off for a few feet and then helicoptered badly. I think adding fins to each side would have given it stability.There was no damage to the model during these flights, and I might add the fins and give it one more test at a later date.
Still it was a fun project and introduced my Granddaughter to Model Rockets. She was in charge of the the launch controller.Thank you for watching.
Participated in the