SERVINGS - 4
- 2 cups cooked red quinoa (about 3/4 cup uncooked, see note)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (see note)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup finely diced ham
- 1/3 cup chopped herbs (i.e., basil, thyme, chives, oregano, or a mix of several)
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 or 3 tablespoons grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
Step 1: DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly beat the eggs with the milk in a large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients except the Parmesan or Asiago and spread in a greased, 9×9 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until just set and the top is slightly golden.
Step 2: NOTES
To achieve a slightlynutty flavor, I recommend rinsing the quinoa and then sautéing over medium high heat in about a tablespoon of olive oil until dry and slightly toasted. Stir frequently so as not to burn as quinoa dries. Then, add the liquid and simmer, uncovered, over low until cooked through, about 12 TO 15 minutes. To get the correct amount for this recipe, use 3/4 cup of quinoa and, after sautéing, add 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water. You could also cook the quinoa in chicken or vegetable stock for added flavor. (I prefer using 100% fat free low sodium chicken broth instead of water; this will only add 15 or 20 calories and about 2 carbs to the entire recipe, and enhances the flavor).
I made this dish for the 1st time using a vegan vegetable cheddar cheese, however, I think the next time I will use real extra sharp cheddar. I think low fat skim milk Mozzarella would also work well
A chilled glass of Lambrusco Riunite complements the entrée!
Step 3: NUTRITION
Estimated calories for this recipe = 1,338; estimated carbs = 97
Per Serving, estimated calories = 335. carbs = 24