This is my first published instructable, so be nice!!! (please) [Note: I do not claim responsibility for anything that may happen from this (aka, your ant farm getting out and dying.)] This is how to make an ant poison that is kid friendly and pet safe, and is completely edible, at least for things that aren't ants (and possibly other insects, but i haven't tested). You can get most of the supplies from a restaurant or around your house. (Plus, you get to eat out!)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
1. Artificial sugar from a restaurant that includes aspartame, or some other product with aspartame.
2. Peanut butter, jelly, or if you're allergic to those, you can always use water.
Step 2: Making It.
Mix together a packet of aspartame substance (be it sugar or another item) and a tablespoon of peanut butter. If you're allergic to peanuts, use jelly. If you're allergic to both (sad ): ) then you can mix in a small amount of water, just to get it moist. (this isn't as effective as PB or J, but it usually works)
Step 3: Placing.
Put the poison in a bottle cap, on a plate, or somewhere where it won't get on your floor, because the peanut butter's hard to get up, and it gets really sticky. Put the cap right where the ants are entering your house/leaving their hill.
Step 4: After Setting the Poison Out.
As soon as the ants aren't coming to the spot anymore, which should take only a few days, remove the poison from the area. I wouldn't suggest eating it, because it has bacteria from the ants crawling on it. (besides, there won't be much stuff left to eat.) If the ants come back, put more aspartame and less peanut butter in the mix, and put it out again. It should only take once, but you might try putting more than one cap in a corner if they keep coming back.
Step 5: Portable Storage
You may want to put some in a container for later, just in case. if you want to, tic tac containers work well and can be used over and over until they run out, and then you just refill them. (as long as they don't get moldy, which I don't think they will but you never know...)