Introduction: Patch Work Couch Quilt
This is a tv blanket to use on cold nights or doubles as a single bed rug. Approximate finishing size 70" x 85" All the materials for my design are recycled. For the purpose of instructions I have converted it to purchase quantities.
-Rotary cutter and self mending cutting matt
- quilters ruler; no smaller than 14" x 4"
-sewing machine (basic is fine)
-walking foot; appropriate for the model of machine
-1/4" foot' appropriate for the model of machine
- thread scissors
-dress making scissors
-quilters needle for machine
-large eyes quilters needle
all fabrics in the quit top are 45" /115cm wide, 100% cotton
- a selection of colours up to 20 fat quarters
-Wadding 2.5 yards of 2 yard wide (I use bamboo because it is more sustainable than cotton or nylon based products)
- backing 4 yards of backing cotton fabric or to fit
- cotton thread off white for patchwork, contrasting colour for quilting on quilt top and similar colour for backing
- from each fat quarter
A cut four 4' / 8.5" rectangles
B cut six 2.5" / 8.5" strips
C cut two 13" / 2.5" strips
-select a starting print you will need three B pieces and one C piece of one print and two A pieces of a secondary print.
-place one fabric piece A and one fabric piece B right sides togetherstitch down one long side 1/4' seam allowance.
- press seam to one side each time after stitching.
- place another piece A right side together with the B piece of the unit just stitched
- repeat until the unit consists of A, B, A, B, A
- stitch one piece C horizontal to the constructed unit.
- this completes one block
- continue piecing blocks mixing prints until you have 40 blocks
- stitch 5 units together piece A to piece A until there are 8 rows of 5 (see picture)
- stitch together the 8 rows (see picture)
-be careful to match the seams
-give you backing and the pieced top a good press, then spread the backing right side down on a flat surface. smooth the wadding and the pieced to, right side up, on top. use your preferred basting method; I use bating spray others use safety pins
- quilt as you prefer; i used straight stitch quilting.
- using home made binding or purchase double folded binding, length that will be long enough to go around the quilt edge with mitred corners.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Participated in the
Sew Warm Contest