This isn't your typical Alfredo pasta that is heavy with cheese. In fact, this sauce consists mainly of pureed cauliflower with 1/2 cup of grated parimigiano, 1/2 cup of cream, garlic, some seasoning and vegetable stock. You will be surprised by how much it tastes like Alfredo pasta when the sauce is mostly vegetable. That's the beauty of Cauliflower, it's such a versatile plant. It's also high in Vitamin C and Omega-3 fatty acids which naturally fight against signs of aging. Cauliflower "contains considerable amounts of nitrogen and sulfur-containing glucosinolates. These compounds have been widely studied on laboratory mice and have shown potential in preventing and possibly even treating certain types of cancers". This pasta is compatible for vegetarians and is a very easy and quick dish to make.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 25
- 250 GRAMS OF SPAGHETTI/SPAGHETTINI/LINGUINE/FETTUCINE
- 1 ORGANIC CAULIFLOWER COARSELY CHOPPED
- 1/2 CUP OF PARMIGIANO GRATED
- 1/2 CUP OF TABLE CREAM OR 10%
- 4 GARLIC CLOVES CHOPPED
- VEGETABLE STOCK
- 1/2 TEASPOON OF GARLIC SALT
- 1 TEASPOON OF DRIED OREGANO LEAVES
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- TOOL: HAND BLENDER
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare ingredients as listed above.
- In a medium size pot, place your chopped caluliflower and garlic inside. Pour just enough vegetable stock to cover the elements. Set the heat to medium high heat and boil for 15 minutes until cauliflower is soft.
- Meanwhile in another pot, boil your pasta to Al-Dente texture according to package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the hot pasta water and strain the rest of your pasta.
- Going back to your cauliflower sauce, remove pot off heat and puree with a hand blender until very smooth and there are no chunks of cauliflower left.
- Place sauce back on the stove set to medium high heat. Add reserved pasta water, cream, garlic salt, oregano, grated parmigiana cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until sauce reaches a boil, then remove off heat.
- Pour the sauce over pasta and mix.
- Garnish with cheese or an herb of your choice.