Introduction: RECIPE | LOADED NACHOS
I have to give full credit to my husband for this recipe. Instead of loading up nachos with ground beef, he swapped it for something healthier and more sustainable to the environment: black beans. Black beans are a great meat alternative and they shockingly contain 8 times more iron than beef! In my recipe, I'm using organic Que Pasa tortilla chips and dairy-free cheddar cheese by Daiya Foods.
This is a great appetizer for two and it's pretty simple to make. It is on the spicy side so if you prefer no spice, remove the red chili pepper from your ingredients. Give this dish a try and let me know what you think below!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 5 MINS
- TORTILLA CHIPS
- 1 AVOCADO DICED
- JUICE OF 1 FRESH LIME
- 1/2 CUP OF CANNED BLACK BEANS, RINSED WELL
- 1 SHALLOT CHOPPED * 1 GARLIC MINCED
- 1 RED CHILI DE-SEEDED AND CHOPPED (REMOVE IF YOU PREFER NO SPICE)
- 1 CUP OF SHREDDED MOZZARELLA CHEESE (OPT FOR DAIRY-FREE CHEESE FOR A VEGAN OPTION)
- 1 CUP OF SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE (OPT FOR DAIRY-FREE CHEESE FOR A VEGAN OPTION)
- 1 TBSP OF MALT VINEGAR
- 1 TBSP OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 1/2 CUP OF SALSA
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above.
- In a small frying pan set on medium heat, add your olive oil. Then begin frying the chopped shallots and minced garlic. Add in your rinsed black beans. Pour in the malt vinegar followed by the lime juice. For spice: throw in the chopped red chili pepper. Season with some salt and pepper. Fry for 5 minutes and then set aside.
- On a 12 x 12 inch plate, pour your desired amount of tortilla chips. Sprinkle both the mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds until cheese has melted.
- Pour your beans over the nachos followed by your diced avocado spreading them evenly with a utensil.
- Serve with salsa.