Mexican Rice is one of those dishes that I love eating at restaurants but I could never master at home. Whether it was the wrong ingredient or the rice wasn't fluffy enough. After many times of making this dish, I think I've finally created a recipe that works and is easy enough to make at home. Now it's not an authentic Mexican rice because I am using jasmine rice but you can substitute with brown rice to achieve a chewier texture. My version is softer FYI.
Some ingredients by a couple brands that I like to use for this recipe are Pacific Foods Vegetable Stock and Terra Delyssa Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share this recipe with your family and friends across social media or by simple word of mouth. I'd appreciate it GREATLY! Take good care,Christie
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 2 AS MAIN, 3-4 AS A SIDE | PREP 20 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small cooking onion, diced4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 cups of white jasmine rice uncooked
- 4-5 tbsp of tomato paste3 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp of organic extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 10 mini sweet bell peppers, sliced (Note: if you choose to add in sweet bell peppers, I would advise using only 2.5 cups of vegetable broth as the peppers contain added water content)
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- In medium size pot set on medium heat, add in olive oil. Next add the rice and toast it for 3-4 mins.
- Next add in the diced onions, garlic, green bell pepper and sweet bell peppers (optional). Cook until vegetables are softened. Squeeze in tomato paste and stir until well combined.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once it hits a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cover with a lid. Let this simmer between 12-15 minutes until rice is cooked to the texture that you desire. Stir every now and then to prevent rice from sticking to pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!