I'm so excited to share this recipe with you all because I'm thrilled with how it turned out. It beat my expectations. I went into this recipe, not really having an exact plan. I knew I what ingredients I was going to use but I didn't really have a plan as to how it'll all come together. I was bracing myself for a disastrous dish but I have to admit, it's my best one yet and I'm happy I can share it with you all so you can cook it according to a plan. These are my Mushroom Wellingtons, completely meatless yet so savoury and full of flavour.
Mushrooms are a secreted super fungus! They have a lot of health benefits and they're delicious too. Although they don't provide much fibre compared to greens, check out their advantages below:
- Button Mushrooms reduce inflammation and prevent heart disease by not allowing plaque to stick to the walls of your arteries.
- They defend the body from different cancers. "In June 2010, the department of plant pathology at Penn State released a report stating that button mushrooms have been found effective at treating breast, colon and prostate cancers".
- Button mushrooms contain high levels of copper that are required for blood cell growth and it assists in taking care of the heart
- By eating more mushrooms you are increasing the number of natural killer cells that can defend the body against foreign invaders like viruses or cancer cells. This helps boost immunity.
Facts are sourced from Live Strong
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
YIELDS 9 PIECES | PREP TIME 40 MINS | BAKE TIME 28 MINS
- 1 Pint of White Button Mushrooms
- 1 Pint of Cremini Mushrooms
- 3 Cups of Spinach, Washed and Dry
- 2 Shallots
- 5 slices of Mozzarella Cheese sliced into quarters
- 2 Sheets of Puff Pastry
- 1/2 tsp of dried Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- Avocado oil* for greasing and frying
*I don't use Vegetable Oil as it is sometimes masked as Palm Oil which is not environmentally friendly.
Tool: 12 Cup Muffin Pan, Food Processor or Blending Tool
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Using your food processor, grind up your mushrooms, shallots, and spinach. Add in the garlic powder, salt and dried thyme leaves and mix well.
- In a large deep pan set on medium - high heat, add the avocado oil. Once the oil is hot, add your blended mushroom mixture to the pan. Fry for about 7 minutes until a majority of the liquids have evaporated. Afterwards, allow the mixture to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Meanwhile, evenly slice your *each* puff pastry sheet into 9 squares, totalling 18 squares from 2 sheets.
- Grease your muffin baking pan with avocado oil. Next using 1 of the pastry squares that you cut, line it against the muffin mold. Repeat this step with 8 more muffin molds. Save the remaining 9 pastry squares for later as the topping layer.
- To the muffin mold, layer the bottom with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Then scoop 1 heaping tablespoon of the mushroom mixture over the cheese. Cover with another slice of cheese. Top off with a layer of puff pastry and folding the corners in squeezing them together. You should have 9 pies in total. 1. Lightly brush the pies with some avocado oil to help them turn golden brown.
- Bake for 28 minutes or until golden brown. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
paolog25 made it!