Introduction: RECIPE | ONE POT SPANISH RICE
Back in high school, we each had to bring a food item to Spanish class inspired by Spanish cuisine. I looked up some Spanish recipes and found one. It was similar to this Spanish Rice but meat-based but I remember eating it for the first time, I fell in love with the dish. This version is a vegetable inspired version using Mushroom Broth instead of a meat broth and I added some green peppers for colour and nutrition. I also used white jasmine rice instead of brown or whole grain rice (it's the Asian in me what can I say?)
Mushroom Broth is a great replacement for meat-based broths as it offers a similar hearty taste. I'm using an organic non-GMO version by Pacific Foods. They sent me some products to try a few months ago and I've really been loving their product line. Usually boxed broths don't get a good wrap as they're not as fresh and it's always better to make your own but when you have limited time, the boxed broths are convenient. I also love that their packaging is recyclable too. I hope you give this dish a try and I hope you like it! If you do, please share it with your family and friends. Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any of the brands listed in this post. These products are listed because I believe in their quality as well as the company behind them.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 3-4 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 25 MINS
- 1 green pepper diced
- 15 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups of mushroom broth
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups of white jasmine rice
- 2 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- In a large sauce pan set on medium heat, add your olive oil. Cook onions until fragrant and translucent. Then add in green peppers and cook until soft.
- Add in rice and spices, mix until rice is evenly coated. Pour in the canned tomatoes, mushroom broth and combine well. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes until rice is cooked.
- Fluff up rice with a fork. Serve immediately and enjoy. It's also okay if the rice is a bit browned on the bottom, that's normal so don't panic!