Pandan French Toast. Say what? On the weekend, I decided to add an Asian twist to the tried and true French toast - Pandan extract! It's an extract from Pandan leaves that you can find in the tropics. The taste is hard to capture in words but it's almost a mix of coconut with a hint of vanilla and citrus. All in all, it's amazing. You can find this extract from smaller more specialized Asian grocery stores. I wish I could remember where we found mine from, but my mother-in-law bought it for me.
This is a super easy recipe. If you know how to make french toast, then this will be a breeze with a few substitutions:
- Instead of regular milk, use canned coconut milk Instead of regular bread, use egg bread
- Instead of maple syrup, use sweet condensed milk. (If you're not familiar with this ingredient, it's like a gooey sweet sticky form of milk that has been reduced down and it's delicious. In Asia, it's super popular as a syrup over toast. You can find this item in the canned goods aisle at most Asian supermarkets).
- In addition to vanilla extract, I've added Pandan extract
- Instead of non-vegan icing sugar, I'm using vegan white icing sugar. (Did you know that non-vegan white sugars use animal char to bleach the granules? YUCK!)
- Instead of regular caged eggs, I'm using free-range organic eggs by Burnbrae Farms. Free-range organic hens produce better tasting and healthier eggs.
Well I hope you try this recipe out and if you like it, please share the recipe with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
YIELDS 3 PIECES | PREP TIME 10 MINS | COOK TIME 5-6 MINS
- 3 slices of egg bread
- 2 free-range organic eggs
- 1 tsp of pandan extract
- 2 tbsp of coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp of condensed milk as the "syrup"
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil for frying
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, pandan extract, coconut milk, and vanilla extract.
- In the meantime, warm a flat pan to medium heat. Add your coconut oil to the pan. Once it's melted, dredge a piece of bread into your egg mixture until both sides are evenly coated and lay it into the pan. Fry on each side for 1 minute until golden brown. Repeat steps for remaining pieces of bread.
- Once toast is ready, drizzle some condensed milk over top and sprinkle some icing sugar. Serve immediately. Enjoy!