Who's not a fan of kale, yams or quinoa? That would be me before I met this warm, sweet and crunchy salad. This salad is full of nutrients, variety and colour. Having colour in your fruits and vegetables is the key to a healthy diet. This dish is simple to make and is great for lunch or a light supper. Try pairing it with my sweet and light Lemon Salad Dressing which is very easy & quick to make (recipe down below). You will never have to go out to buy dressing again filled with preservatives. Enjoy crunching on this healthy and tasty salad!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD
SERVES 2 | PREP TIME 30 MINS | COOK TIME 20 MINS
- 2 Yams largely diced
- 1/3 cup of Quinoa
- 1 Bunch of Kale chopped (approx. 8-10 leaves)
- 2 small Carrots shredded
- 2 handful of Peashrouts washed and dried
- 2/3 cup of Corn Niblets cooked and cooled
- 3 tablespoons of Dried Cranberries
- 2 tablespoons of Pecan Nuts coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS FOR SALAD
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Peel and chop yams into large cubes. Spread them over a baking sheet. Drizzle and massage Extra Virgin Olive Oil onto yams. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil your Quinoa according to package instructions.
- If required, boil your corn and allow it to cool if you are not using jarred/canned corn.
- As the quinoa and yams are cooking, wash and prepare the remaining vegetables as specified above. For the carrots specifically, peel and create carrot shreds by slicing them thinly like tiny matchsticks.
- Now that yams and quinoa are cooked, you can arrange your salad on a plate keeping the warm elements to the side and cool elements to the other side of the plate before eating. Or you can mix it altogether, this is personal preference.
- Sprinkle the nuts and cranberries over the salad.
Step 3: INGREDIENTS FOR LEMON ONION DRESSING
- 1/3 cup of Sugar (opt for organic cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup of Lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons of finely minced Onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 2/3 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Step 4: INSTRUCTIONS FOR LEMON ONION DRESSING
- Finely mince the onion
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, sugar, salt and Dijon Mustard.
- Add minched onions and whisk again until smooth
- Drizzle over your salad