I've been missing for about 2 weeks because I travelled to Switzerland with my husband and wow, I feel like I came back as a new and different person. I'll be blogging about my experience there later as it deserves a full post. But I can tell you the food there was great! It was heavily based on potatoes - cooked in different styles from Rosti style to your classic Pommes Frites. It inspired me to create my own potato wedge recipe. If you're not a fan of spice in this dish, you can eliminate the Cajun spice but add a bit more paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. These wedges are so crispy and flavourful on the outside but soft and warm on the inside. Potatoes are a huge part of my weekly diet as I am semi-vegetarian so I need a very filling plant-based food. In addition to being delicious, they have several health benefits which I've listed below.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF POTATOES
- Potatoes contain nutrients for proper bone growth. They possess iron, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium and zinc which are great for building that skeleton.
- Since potatoes contain potassium, calcium and magnesium, these nutrients are helpful in keeping blood pressure low.
- Potatoes contain Choline which lowers inflammation and "helps with sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory"
- They have Folate which prevents the creation of "cancer cells from mutations in the DNA"
- Great at metabolizing carbs and proteins because potatoes contains Vitamin B6
Facts are sourced from Medical News Today.
For this recipe I'm dipping these wedges into a Sriracha Mayonnaise by Neal Brothers Foods and they are the perfect pair. The mayo is spicy so it's great for those who love that extra spice. I highly recommend it. You can find their products at Sobeys or Loblaws.
Well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please take a picture of it and tag @christieathome on Instagram and it may be featured. If you're not on Instagram, please share it with your family and friends. Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any companies listed in this post.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 2 AS A MAIN (3-4 AS A SIDE) | PREP TIME 15 MINS | BAKE TIME 40 MINS
- 5 medium masquerade potatoes unpeeled and sliced into wedges
- 4 cloves of unpeeled garlic
- 3 tbsp of organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp of cajun spice
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder (not onion salt)
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 3/4 tsp of dried thyme leaves
- Optional for dipping: Sriracha Mayonnaise by Neal Brothers
Required: Baking tray lined with a silicone mat (...or parchment paper although I'm not a fan of waste)
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. After washing your potatoes, leave them unpeeled and slice them into long wedges. Lay them onto the lined baking sheet. Throw in the unpeeled garlic cloves (these will give your potatoes a garlicky scent! You can also eat them after they've been roasted).
- In a small bowl, combine oil and all the spices together. Pour the marinade over your potatoes and massage it into your wedges and garlic cloves. Line up the wedges so that the tips of them point upwards (see picture below).
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden crispy brown. Serve with some Sriracha Mayo or ketchup. Enjoy!