Introduction: RECIPE | SWEET POTATO PANCAKES
I vividly remember back in grade one and my teacher bringing in her portable stove top. She brought along potatoes, onions, flour, egg and some seasoning. She mixed the ingredients together and began frying them. I could hear the oil sizzle and pop. The whole classroom smelled of delicious oily potato. She told us that these are called Potato Latkes (aka potato pancakes). When I sunk my little teeth into one, the salty crispy texture on the outside combined the softness of the inside made my mouth sing. At that moment I met one of my favourite foods in the world.
Over the weekend, I wanted to create my own healthier version - Sweet Potato Pancakes. They're on the sweeter side. My house still smells of them even after my husband lit candles and directed the smell out the door with an electric fan (haha). I hope you give these a try. They're great for breakfast, a snack or as a side dish. Yes, they're a little oily but once in awhile it's okay to indulge.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
YIELDS 12-14 PIECES | PREP TIME 25 MINS | COOK TIME 25 MINS
- 2 MEDIUM SIZE ORGANIC SWEET POTATOES PEELED
- 1 ORGANIC ONION GRATED
- 1/3 CUP OF ALL PURPOSE WHITE FLOUR
- 2 EGGS (OPT FOR FREE RANGE ORGANIC FOR BEST FLAVOUR)
- 1 TEASPOON OF SALT
- 1/2 TEASPOON OF PEPPER
- VEGETABLE OIL FOR FRYING
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Using a box grater (larger holes), grate your onion. Place the grated onion into a sieve or a colander and using your hands, push the water out.
- Repeat the above process with the sweet potatoes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sweet potatoes, onion, egg, flour, salt, and pepper together. Mix well. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to allow the mixture to set.
- When you're ready to fry, set a flat frying pan to medium heat. Add some vegetable oil. Scoop 2 tablespoons worth of your pancake mixture into the frying pan. Gently flatten your potato ball with a fork until flat.
- Cook the pancake for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Enjoy!