To me, breakfast is defined by a good tater tot. Crispy on the outside and soft and tasty on the inside. I can't say that Tater Tots are healthy because these are deep fried. However you are doing the earth a favour by avoiding meat consumption which means that you've helped curb global warming by that much. These are completely meatless and there's no egg used. Just potatoes, flour, seasoning and lots of dried herbs! Perfect for vegans, vegetarians and non vegetarians. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much I do.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
YIELDS 20-25 | PREP TIME 45 MINS | COOK TIME 5-6 MINUTES
Adapted from Laura Vitale
- 1 LB OF ORGANIC RUSSET POTATOES PEELED
- 2 TSPS OF ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- 1 TSP OF DRIED OREGANO
- 1 TSP OF DRIED CHIVES
- 1 TSP OF DRIED PARSLEY
- 1/2 TSP OF GARLIC SALT
- 1/2 TSP OF ONION POWDER
- 1/2 TSP OF SALT
- 1/4 TSP OF PEPPER
- VEGETABLE OIL FOR DEEP FRYING
Step 2: INSTRUCTIONS
- Prepare your ingredients as listed above.
- Parboil your peeled potatoes on medium-high for 10 minutes.
- Allow them to cool until they're no longer hot to touch. With a box shredder, shred your potatoes.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients and add in the shredded potatoes. Combine well.
- Take 1.5 teaspoons of your potato mixture and shape it into a tot. It should be about 1 inch long. Give the tot a good squeeze in the palm of your hand to hold the shape.
- Once all your tots are ready, it's now time to deep fry them. In a deep pot filled 1-2 inches of vegetable oil, set the heat to medium high.
- Gently drop each tater. Cook them in batches depending on the size of your pot. Avoid over crowding the pot or the taters may not cook through well.
- Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with your favourite condiment and enjoy!