Have you ever been to Jimmy the Greek and was like, "Can I please have a whole plate of just the potatoes?" Their potatoes are probably one of my favourite foods on the planet. They're soft, full of taste - they are the definition of comfort food. I decided to recreate my own but using plant based ingredients and I have to admit they tasted just like the ones at Jimmy the Greek!
In the typical Greek Potato recipe they use chicken broth, lemon juice, some spices and olive oil. I'm excited to share that my recipe is completely animal-free using vegetable broth which contains pureed tomatoes, celery, carrots, garlic, and onions. I was skeptical at first and thought that the veggie broth would give off an acidic taste but to my surprise, it tasted just like good old Jimmy the Greek! In particular I'm using Pacific Foods' vegetable broth if you want to emulate my recipe exactly. Using a top quality organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is important too and the one I'm using is by Terra Delyssa. To make my version different, I added some fresh Dill and garlic powder for added taste. This serves well as a side dish or if you just feel like eating a whole serving of tasty potatoes. Well I hope you guys enjoy my version of Vegan Greek Potatoes and if you do please share it with your family and friends.
Disclaimer: I am not sponsored by the companies listed in this post.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
SERVES 5-6 | PREP TIME 15 MINS | COOK TIME 60 MINS
- 2 pounds of unpeeled yellow potatoes cut into wedges
- 1.5 lemons juiced
- 1/3 cup of organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of vegetable broth (Note: Use one that includes tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions and garlic for best taste) * 1.25 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary leaves
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1 small handful of fresh dill chopped
Required: Deep baking pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and prepare your potatoes as listed above. No need to peel them. Place wedges into a deep baking tray. Pour olive oil and lemon juice over top and using your hands massage it into the potatoes.
- Next add in the garlic powder, rosemary, pepper, and salt. Massage the spices into the wedges until evenly coated. Then pour your broth to cover the potatoes. Tip: You may need to line up the potatoes neatly to ensure each wedge is covered in broth. It's okay if parts of the wedge stick out.
- Bake uncovered for 60 mins. When ready to serve, garnish with chopped fresh dill. Enjoy!