Introduction: ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH CRUSHED GREEN PEPPERCORNS AND GREEN APPLE BOURBON
This is really a quick and easy recipe. Once the pork loin has been marinated and refrigerated for a while (an hour or two, or even overnight), it will only take about 45 to 50 minutes to roast to perfection.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS (4 Servings)
- 1/2 boneless pork loin (2 t 3 lbs; this one weighed 34 ounces)
- 1 TBS green peppercorns (you could also use black peppercorns, or a melange)
- 4 to 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 TBS fresh rosemary leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond Crystal Salt Sense (or Kosher or sea salt)
- 2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Jim Beam Apple Bourbon
Step 2: PREPARATION:
- Place the herbs and spices in a mortar.
- Peel, mince, and add the garlic.
- Crush the ingredients with the pestle.
- Add the 2 TBS of EVOO, mix thoroughly and crush again until you have a fairly thick paste.
- Place the pork loin onto a large sheet of plastic wrap.
- Coat all sides as evenly as possible with the herb/spice rub, pressing it into the flesh as you do so.
- Wrap tightly in the plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to roast.
*NOTE: The herbs and spices used made enough of a mixture to coat this 34-ounce pork loin; however, if you are using a 3 to 4 lb piece of pork you should probably use 3 TBS of EVOO and double the amount of herbs and spices.
Step 3: INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray a roasting pan or heavy cast iron skillet with a rack with cooking spray.
- Place the herb-crusted pork loin on the rack and let it rest on the counter for about 30 minutes.
- When the oven has reached the desired temperature, place the pork loin into the oven and roast it for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes have passed, reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Baste the pork with about 1/3 of the 1/2 cup of bourbon and continue to roast at 300 degrees F for another 15 minutes, then rotate the baking pan and baste the pork with another 1/3 of the bourbon. Continue roasting for another 15 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the pork loin after it has roasted for a total of 45 minutes (15@450 degrees F and 30 minutes at 300 degrees F). and baste it with the remaining 1/3 cup of bourgon. (The internal temperature should be between 135 - 140 degrees F for medium (slightly pink on the inside). If you want it a little more well-done, roast it for another 5 minutes or so).
- Once the pork loin has reached the desired stage of doneness, remove it from the oven; plate it and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Let it rest on the stove top for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving (I used this time to cook a side dish of roasted curried cauliflower (that recipe will follow soon)!
Step 4: TIME TO EAT . . .
Slice the pork loin (slightly on a bias).
Plate a few slices, drizzle with some of that delicious apple-bourbon flavored pot juice over the roast pork, and add a salad or side dish. Enjoy your dinner with a little Jim Beam and club soda spiked with a slice of Granny Smith Green Apple. Who could ask for more?
Step 5: NUTRITION
I have estimated the nutritional values of this roasted pork loin to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer (side dishes are not included in this analysis). While a bit "rich," this recipe is loaded with protein.