This is my step by step process on how I upgraded a racing drone!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Getting Started
I started off with an old drone that someone had made but did not have a use for anymore.
Everything on the frame worked, but I wanted to upgrade the frame as the 3d print was heavy and very fragile.
In addition to that, I wanted to rework the positioning of the devices like the flight controller.
Step 2: Making a Frame
After looking at the prices of frames online and how expensive they were, I opted instead to go and get a sheet of carbon fiber at Lowes.
With a bit of ingenuity I took a 3d printed file of a qav250 and got the sheet cut at the cities library.
Step 3: New Frame, New Life
Now with my new frame, I set out to
move all of the components over.
This is where the fun begins…
I started by attempting to solder my escs onto the power distribution board, and after several tries and one esc that caught on fire, I ‘successfully’ finished soldering my escs.
Now onto the motors
Step 4: POWAHHHH
Now for motors.
I transferred over the motors and soldered them to the escs.
One motor died on transfer and upon replacement an escs completely stopped working.
After trying many different things I decided to reach out to the local community and see what advice they had.
Step 5: Reaching Out
Reaching out to the surrounding
community was the best thing I could’ve done.
I leaned so much that I did not know.
- I learned that my flight controller was a horrifically old device.
-My motors were really weak
- My build was all wrong
Step 6: Restart
After visiting a very generous
local drone enthusiast, I was given 4 much better motors and escs, and instructed on how to put the build together.
Step 7: New Foundation
Here is my drone after my new
motors and escs have been installed.
Looking much better!
Step 8: So Close
After about a week I finally got
the general skeleton down. However I had an issue with connecting my esc to the flight controller.
Back to meet with the guy I met with a couple of weeks ago!
Step 9: Final Touches
When I went back he changed my
second motor over to my 6th port and programed the flight controller to recognize 6 as 2.
After that, it worked!!!
Step 10: Done
Here it is, the final result!
After about two months I finally finished!
I will attach all 3d files below.
Let me know what I could’ve done better.
Hope you enjoyed