Intro: Rainbow Vegetable and Bacon Rolls
A really quick and impressive side dish you can make in 30 minutes.
Step 1: Ingredients and Utensils Needed
- Colorful vegetables - Here I have used a green zucchini, carrot and eggplant (aubergine) although it would also be great to add a bright yellow zucchini
- Bacon strips - of course you can make this dish purely vegetarian, but bacon really enhances the taste.
- Olive oil (as you can see in the movie, I have used white truffle oil, which also greatly enhances the flavor, but regular olive oil will also be fine)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable peeler or a sharp knife
- Muffin pan (as en alternative a small pie pan - you will find a photo of this version on the end)
Step 2: Strips
Peel your vegetables and cut them into thin long strips.
It is best to use a mandolin slicer for this, but considering mine broke, I have been successfully using the vegetable peeler for thin slicing. Of course you can also use a knife, although it will probably take much more time..
Step 3: Assembly
Place the vegetable strips on top of each other, cover with a slice of bacon and roll. For a standard muffin pan size you will need about two such layers - do not make the rolls too tight and place them in the individual muffin compartments. If you want to use a pie pan, you should start layering the strips, propping them against the the outside wall, working your way inwards in a spiral.
Step 4: Bake
Bake at 240C (460F) for 20 minutes.
Step 5: Enjoy!
This is an entry in the
Side Dishes Challenge