Rainy days are coming, I didn't have a raincoat and instead of buying one I thought why not just make one. It's also an ideal project to recycle plastic bags, you can just melt them together to make a big piece. I'll show you in this Instructable how to do that.
Step 1: Check Out My Quick Video Tutorial!
In this video I show you how to make a raincoat from plastic (trash) bags.
Along with the video you can follow the (easy) steps below :-)
Step 2: Get Your Materials and Tools Together.
For this project I use:
- Plastic bags (best would be to recycle shopping bags).
- Iron (to melt the seams together)
- Baking paper (to prevent the plastic to melt to the iron)
- Measuring tape
- A sample jacket in your size to copy the measurements
Step 3: Measure
Start with getting the measurements from your sample jacket and copy them onto the plastic bags/sheets.
I draw the pattern with a marker onto the plastic.
Step 4: Cut
Now we can out the parts we just measured:
2 front parts
1 back part
Step 5: Iron the Seems
Now we can close the seams.
Instead of sewing we melt them together with an iron.
- Place your plastic on a flat surface (a surface that can handle heat).
- Place your sheets and on top of that place the baking paper.
- Now heat up the iron and melt the seams together.
- Do this for all the parts. I first close the seams of the body and the sleeves, then I attach the sleeves to the body.
Be careful not to burn holes in the plastic, best is to practice first.
Fiddle a bit with the heat and the time.
Step 6: Create the Hood
Now create a hood, because a raincoat without a hood is kind of useless ;-)
I first melt the hood together before attaching it to the jacket.
Step 7: Done
That's it; time to dance in the rain.
Thank you for checking out my Instructable!
Please also check out my youtube channel.