A Cake Rusk is a hard, dry biscuit or a twice-baked bread/cake. In India, it is traditionally eaten after having been dipped in tea/coffee. It is a great breakfast/evening snack along with tea/coffee. Another interesting fact is that it is sometimes used as a baby teething food.
It is liked in most countries and is easily available in department stores. It is called with different names in different countries like Biscottate, Toast Biscuit, Tea biscuit, Boksum, Biskotso etc (Ofcourse there might be slight variations to the recipe)
I made it for the first time and it has come out just perfect just like store bought. The satisfaction in making this dish has been immense and I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it as much as I did today. Thank you.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Butter -1 Cup
- All Purpose Flour - 2.5 Cups
- Sugar - 1.75 Cups
- Baking Powder - 1.5 tsp
- Raisin - 1 Cup
- Eggs - 4
- Orange Food Color - 1 Pinch
Step 2: Preparation Steps
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Mix flour, baking powder and food color with a whisk.
- Mix eggs, room temperature butter, vanilla essence and sugar until smooth mixture with a hand mixer or a normal blender. I used my blender.
- Fold the dry ingredient mixture from step 1 slowly into the liquid mixture. Do not over mix. Add raisins in the end and mix again.
- Grease a pan with butter.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 30mins ( Keep checking after 25mins because the timing will vary with every oven).
- Use a fork/tooth pick to check if the cake is baked fully.
- Keep the cake aside so it comes to room temperature.
- Cut the cake into 1 inch slices and place it in a row on a foil covered baking pan.
- Bake again at 350 degree F for 15mins.
- After 15mins, flip the pieces so the bottom surface faces up.
- Bake for another 15mins.
- It will turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool till room temperature.
- It will be crispy and golden brown and perfect.
Raisin Cake Rusk is ready. Try it with hot tea/coffee. Enjoy!