My dad liked to buy a high end steaming speaker. But he found no wifi speaker with the ability to play music from an usb stick and listen music with the headphone. The most speaker we found had no display but I think it's nice to have one, so we decide to build our own speaker.
Step 1: Parts and Tools
First I like to say the project costs about 280$.
But when you look what a similar speaker costs, the project is comparative cheap.
And kodi is a very good media center.
The Parts in (****) are the parts i used
-Amplifier 2*50 W (Sure TDA7492)
- Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
- Keyboard ( mini wireless keyboard 2.4G)
- Touchscreen with lcd (touch does not work with kodi) (5 inch LCD HDMI Touch Screen Display Module TFT LCD 800*480 Banana Pi Raspberry Pi 2 model B/B+)
- 2 Speaker (HiVi Research B3S 3inch)
- USB Hub (7hub)
- USB wifi adapter
-DAC (I2S Interface Special HIFI DAC+ Sound Card For Raspberry PI B+/2B)
- 24v 4.5a 100w Power Supply
- Cables and a power switch
- minimum 4GB SD card
Step 2: Assembly
1. You have to cut the edges of the Speakers
2. Cut the cable of the 7hub powersupply and solder two new cables on it.
3. I taped the 24v powersupply to the 3d printed stand
4. Solder the Cables form the usb hub to the switch and from the 24v powersupply to the switch.
5. Solder the 240v cables to the switch.
6. screw the speakers to the housing. Use a magnetic hex key or put a paper between the key and the screw
7. Wire all toghter
8. Put the board mount in the two slots of the stand (one side of the board is higher than the other)
9. Tap 8 M4 threads in the housing
10. Assemble the Stand and the housing with 8 m4 screws
Step 3: Software
My Speaker runs with kodi 5.0.8. Write it to the SD Card ( there are much descriptions on the net)
You have to edit the config.text file for the DAC+ and the Screen.
For the Dac + write: dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus
For the Sceen: hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
The Rest in the txt file should be # (faded out)
Step 4: 3d Files
Here is the link for the 3d files, but these are at work because i like to change two things.
The first is the lcd mount and the second is the lcd cable canal.
These changes are impotrant for a easier assembley.
here are the link for the files: