Raw bananas can be cooked in different styles as a vegetable. This is one such recipe for making a tasteful banana curry. It is very simple and does not take much time
The following steps describe how to make raw banana curry
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Peel Skin and Cut Into Pieces
- Take about four or five raw bananas and peel off the outer skin using a peeler. You need to peel just the green outer skin and not the entire skin from the bananas.
- Cut the peeled bananas into half inch cubes
Step 2: Add Red Chili Powder and Salt
- Transfer the cut banana pieces into a wide bowl
- Add half to one teaspoon of red chili powder as per your taste.
- Add half a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Add salt to taste
Step 3: Marinate the Banana Pieces
- Cut a lime in half and extract the juice
- Add the lime juice to the banana pieces in the bowl and mix well
- Keep this aside for about half an hour to marinate
Step 4: Other Ingredients
For making curry paste
- 2 teaspoons of Cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons of Fennel seeds
- Half a coconut
- Two to three green chilies
- Few pieces of Cardamom
Make a fine paste of all the above ingredients in a mixer-grinder and keep aside
- One tablespoon of cooking oil
- A tablespoon of mustard seeds mixed with split black gram lentils
- Handful of curry leaves
- One onion chopped
- Few garlic cloves shucked and chopped
Step 5: Saute
- Add one tablespoon of cooking oil in a frying pan over medium flame
- When the oil is heated, add a teaspoon of mustard seeds mixed with split black gram lentils
- Once the mustard seeds start cracking, add curry leaves
- Add the chopped onion to the pan and saute till onion pieces turn golden brown
Step 6: Add Banana Pieces
- Add the marinated banana pieces to the pan and stir-fry till the banana pieces are about half cooked
- Now add the curry paste we have already prepared and mix well
- You can add little amount of water to the mix if required.
- Keep over medium flame till banana pieces are properly cooked.
Step 7: Garnish and Serve
- Once the Banana pieces are cooked, remove the pan from stove. Adjust the consistency of the curry as per your taste.
- Transfer the banana curry to a serving dish and garnish with chopped coriander leaves
This tasteful Banana Curry can be served as a main course for lunch
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017