Have some extra kale growing in your garden? Head outside and pick a bunch, then turn your super nutritious cooking green into a raw and tasty Amino packed super salad with a few simple ingredients.
Step 1: Gather Supplies and Prepare Ingredients
- 1 bunch fresh kale
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup lime juice, fresh or from concentrate (if using fresh you will need approximately 3 super juicy limes)
- 1/2 cup Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large bowl for mixing complete with a tight fitting lid (glass or plastic)**
- 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds (raw or toasted)
- 1/2 cup dry seaweed (such as hijiki)
- 1 cup of warm water for re-hydrating seaweed
- Substitute 1/8 cup of the olive oil for toasted sesame oil. Add 2 tbs of toasted sesame seeds for an Asian take on this salad
- Add 1/8 cup seeds of your choice or nuts, along with a handful alfalfa or broccoli sprouts to the garnish for a diversified munching experience
Step 2: Mix the Dressing and Marinate the Onions
Slice the onions and mix the Braggs, oil, and lime juice all together. Place the onions in your bowl and add the liquid mixture to it. Allow the onions to marinate in the mixture for at least 10 minutes.**
**This process will relieve the volatile flavor of the raw onions and make them easier for your body to digest.
Step 3: Wash and Trim the Kale
While your onions are marinating, make use of the time by rinsing and trimming the kale. Kale is relatively easy to clean and prepare. Simply rinse your kale under cold running water, give it a quick shake to remove any excess water. Cut into bite size pieces.
**Some people prefer not to use the thick stems because they can be fibrous and hard to chew and/or digest, others don't mind them so much. Weather or not you choose to use them is up to you. I opt to add the thinner stems and utilize the thicker/more hardier stems for composting.
Step 4: Combine Ingredients and Allow Salad to "Cook" Itself
Add the trimmed kale to the bowl with the onions.
DO NOT MIX THE SALAD! Cover the bowl with a tight fitting lid and gently agitate the salad by turning the bowl upside down and right side up again several times. This process ensures the onions remain at the bottom of the bowl and continue to "cook" in liquid mixture, while coating the kale at the same time.
After one hour, mix the salad.
Continue the agitation process for a minimum of three hours or up to 12 hours total.**
**The longer you let the salad "cook" the more palatable and digestible the kale and raw onions will become.
Step 5: Prepare the Seaweed
Once your salad has reached a desirable texture and flavor, its time to rehydrate the seaweed.
To rehydrate the seaweed heat one cup of hot water in a tea kettle or pot on the stove (a microwave is perfectly acceptable). Pour the hot water over the seaweed and allow to soak for about 5 minutes, then drain the water into a container. BUT WAIT!! Don't just pour it down the drain, the left over water is super nutrient dense and makes a tasty and nutritious ingredient for smoothies, soups, sauces, stocks, beverages, and even dog/cat treats.
Step 6: Garnish and Munch Away!
Add the seaweed and pumpkin seeds to your salad and enjoy!
At this point you may substitute one of the previous listed variations...or make up your own!