First, let me say. I love the quality of Nerf products. I felt a little bad for tearing it apart, but I have a second one to toy with since it was sold in a two pack at Kmart...
The theater is doing a play and they wanted a "ray gun"
OFF TO THE PARTS BIN!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gutted.
This is going to be a stage prop in the hands of students. It is going to get abused. They won't get the "Hero" prop till opening night, but I couldn't have them shooting each other can goofing around. So out came the guts.
Using a Dremel tool, (and mine is all bagged out, might be time for a new one...) I carved out the barrel to accept the lens and the foot from a washer dryer.
I scavenge weird looking stuff and put it into a bin. Just in case.
Step 2: Mockup.
Just test fitting things...
Step 3: Epoxy.
I've been using JB Weld epoxy, it's easy to work with, doesn't stink and holds up really well.
The one drawback is you have to let it dry overnight. FINE.. I'll do other work while it dries.
Step 4: Rayguns Need Fins.
I had a scrap of aluminum from another ray gun project, so I cut that and shaped it to fit on the Nerf. I epoxied it in place, let it sit overnight, then using some JB Weld putty, the type you cut and mash together, I created little balls that I then pressed into place to create a welded look.
Use little bits at a time, this stuff sets up fast.
Step 5: Paint!
There are three steps to this for me, well four actually.
1. prime. I use a self etching primer. I scuff up the plastic a bit, and prime it.
Now you'll notice I did not protect the fin from primer, that's on purpose. It will help with the weathered look later.
2. Metalic platinum base coat. I had some of this left over from my microphone rebuild project.
3. Orange detail
4. Gack. A mix of black paint and water, let it settle into the cracks and blot it dry.
Step 6: Gizzel.
I don't make these words up.
Gizzel is the detail stuff, those are two RCA cords that are then stuffed into a drywall toggle and glued in place. I then wrapped the handle with some scrap leather from an old couch I cut up.
Step 7: Beauty Shots!
Oh man, I'm going to hate to see this thing destroyed by someone dropping it on stage...
Took me a couple hours to build, not including overnight drying time for the epoxy. The Nerf was less than $15.00 for two of them, and the parts and materials were from the workbench and scrounge bin.
I love it.