Intro: Rayuelomatic 2
Hopscotch is an experimental novel by the Argentine writer Julio Cortazar that can be read according to many different sequences of chapters. In the book, Cortazar gives 2 possible paths but for all other combinations is up to the reader chapter order and how to keep track of chapters read. With a little help of a Raspberry Pi 2, LCD screen and a switch, I was able to develop RayuelOMatic 2, a real machine to read Hopscotch.
Step 1: Requirements
- Raspberry Pi 2 with Raspbian OS - other Raspberry can be used as well, just check the connections -
- LCD Hd44780 16x2 Chars
- Some wires
- 560 ohms resistor
- 2K potentiometer
- Optional: box, glue
Step 2: Wiring
- Connect the LCD screen to the Raspberry according to the diagram
- Add an interruptor to the breadboard and connect to GPIO 21 and ground
- If required, regulate LCD backlight with the potentiometer
Step 3: Software
1. Connect by SSH to the Raspberry and install Python.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install python-setuptools
2. Create a script named rayuelomatic.py
sudo nano rayuelomatic.py
3. Copy and paste rayuelomatic.py file contents then Ctrl-X and Y to Save
4. Execute with
sudo python rayuelomatic.py
Step 4: Use
Press the button and RayuelOMatic will display in the LCD which chapter to read next keeping track of previous chapters.
Thanks and enjoy!
If you are interested in other projects mixing literature and technology, check out my