Today's phone has gone too far from its term. Phone is supposed to be related to sound. Tele-phone is transfering sound to somewhere far away. Now we see smartphone has the ability of texting, computing, surfing the net, taking pictures, and many more. Well, that is really practical and fun. We can do a lot of things in the size of a palm. But we have gone too far from the term "phone".
When I see the Phone Contest asking "how would you #rethinkphone?" This is what I think : Back to Sound.
- A light small device. Mini or micro or as small as possible.
- Attached above ear or stickable to the skin near ear. [Not in-ear; it should not block the normal hearing of the surrounding. Should feel like we are wearing nothing.]
- Self-charging power. Could it be from solar power, the skin movement, or molecules of the air. We know that we can turn movement into power, then we only need to work harder to turn very small movement into useable power :)
- Projecting touchable keypad for dialing numbers or full keyboard for saving contacts in the air. We will no longer need this when we have developed a perfect voice recognition. Everything is voice/sound activated then. Instead it will project a photo of the person we are dialing to avoid wrong person with same name in contacts. Also the ability to project information screen and keyboard separately. When I am in the crowd, it projects the information screen on my glasses and keypad/keyboard on my palm or anywhere I want.
- We don't need large memories on device to keep it micro. Everything is connected to the cloud system so all you need is storing your identity in it.
- Use Voice Message Service instead of short message service.
Then I wake up. This is August 28th, 2015 and I am 37 years old. Will I see this kind of gadget arrives on my table one day? Keep dreaming... keep thinking...
Step 1: The Time Is Near ...
These readings will show you that my imaginative phone is not impossible. Only that phone's development is heading the other way : camera, texting, social media, etc. It is growing into an all-in-one gadget that we should no longer call it "phone".
Stickable to the skin : Scientists have been learning how a gecko can hang on the vertical wall or even on the ceiling [read : Geckos' Sticky Secret]. Meanwhile we can develop a very convenience ear hook until the gecko's stick is applicable. Voice Activity Detection -- which is implemented in Jawbone® bluetooth headsets -- will work best in partner with this.
Convert motion into power : Learn from Seiko Kinetic technology and combine it with low power GSM and smart phone's Deep Sleep technique we can eliminate the "Charge-Your-Device" ritual.
Projecting : we can start from virtual keyboard projector, then we make it smaller and lower in power consumption and multiply it.
Cloud System and Voice Messaging are already there.
So my vision is to put it back on its name - "phone" - where it should handle voice instead of text or any other things. People will have phones stick near their ears and "smart devices" on their palms or in their pockets which we call smart phones, tablets or laptops today.
Imagination is your limit...