This is how to make a toadstool garden with meringues, raspberry jelly, watermelon granita and fresh raspberries.
The equipment needed:
Blender, Containers, Measuring devices, Freezer, Fridge, Oven, Strainer, Dome Moulds Beater (hand or machine) and a Saucepan.
Prep time:45minutes (however some elements need to be left overnight).
Step 1: Gather Watermelon Granita Ingredients
-1/8 of a whole Watermelon
-150ml Mineral Water
-1tsp Raw Sugar (or to taste)
Step 2: Mix the Ingredients
1. Cube the Watermelon
2. Blend it into a liquid
3. Add the Mineral Water, Lime and Sugar
4. Blend again until combined
5. Pour the mix into a container and set in the freezer overnight.
Step 3: Ingredient for the Raspberry Jelly
-2 cups frozen or fresh raspberries (approx)
-1/2 a lemon
-2 Tbsp Agar Agar powder
Step 4: Make the Jelly
1. Place the raspberries, lemon juice in a saucepan and add water until just covering
2. Heat on medium until the raspberries start to soften
3. Strain into a bowl and allow to cool
4. Once cool add the agar powder and add another 1/2 cup of water
5. Return to heat until bubble start to form
6. Pour into domes and refrigerate
Step 5: Gather the Meringue Ingredients and Equipments
-4 egg whites
-1 cup sugar
-A pinch of salt
-Red food die
Step 6: Making the Merguine
1. Preheat the oven to 120. Line a tray with baking paper and trace circles for the size of the top part of the meringue.
2. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Then gradually add sugar whilst continually beating for 3 minutes after adding.
3. Split the mixture evenly between 2 bowls. Then add red food die to one and stir through.
4. Pipe the red mixture into the circles to form domes and the white mixture into cylinders leaving some aside.
5. Cook for 10-15 mins or until the outsides are solid. At this point remove from the oven and finely pipe the remaining white mixture onto the tops to form dots and return to the oven for 15 more minutes.
Step 7: Putting It All Together
Attach the stems to the top of the mushrooms by creating a small hole in the bottom of the dome and then sticking the stem inside this. For a firmer hold, tempered chocolate can be used. In the centre of a white plate place one of the jelly domes. Then around it place 2 mushroom meringues, on the side put fresh raspberries (and optionally fill them with cream). Then take the watermelon granita out of the freezer, it should be solid and using a fork scrape some of the granita onto the plate. Using the quantities above this should serve 6-8 people.
Happy Cooking. I hope you enjoy.