Introduction: Redshirt Gingerbread Men (inspired by Foxtrot)
I was inspired by this Foxtrot Strip and I just had to make them!
Follow this Instructable to make your own little army of expendables.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gingerbread Recipe
You will need:
Ginger Bread Recipe
3 Cups Flour
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
1 3/4 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
3/4 Stick of Butter, melted (6 Tablespoons)
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 Cup Molasses
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest (or Lemon Juice)
Royal Icing Recipe
2 Egg Whites
2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
3 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
Food Coloring, Yellow (For the Insignias!)
The Fondant Recipe(If you would like to make the shirts from it, as I have) is a separate Instructable,
You will also need Red food coloring for the shirts. As well as Blue, Yellow, and Black if you intend to make an away-team.
Step 2: Assemble Ingredients (Gingerbread)
1. Mix together thoroughly the Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt, Ginger, Cinnamon, and Cloves. Set Dry Mix aside.
2. Blend together your Butter, Brown Sugar, and Egg. Next add the Molasses, Vanilla Extract, Lemon Zest (or Juice) until well combined.
3. Gradually stir the Dry Mix into the Wet Mix until you have a smooth dough. Divide and let rest, at room-temperature for 2 hours.
Step 3: Assemble Ingredients (Royal Icing)
1. Combine Lemon Juice, Egg Whites in a bowl and whisk until foamy.
2. Gradually add the Powdered sugar, mixing thoroughly to prevent any lumps.
3. Add food coloring and mix icing alternately until you have reached the desired color.
4. Refrigerate until needed. Royal Icing likes to dry out if exposed to air for too long, so keep it covered or in an icing bag until you are ready to use it.
**WARNING: This recipe uses RAW egg whites. Always use caution when consuming raw eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella. To reduce this risk, use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean eggs with unbroken shells. Also, keep a clean work space and always wash your hands!**
Step 4: Roll, Cut, & Bake Gingerbreadmen
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Roll out the gingerbread dough on a flour dusted work surface until the dough is about 1/4 thick.
3. Cut out your men and transfer carefully to an oiled cookie sheet, or to one covered in parchment paper.
4. Bake @ 375 for 7 to 10 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let cool before you begin decorating.
Step 5: Prepare Redshirts
1. Roll out your fondant and use the cookie cutter to stamp out several fondant men to match the ones you baked.
If you have to foresight you can work the appropriate food coloring into the fondant. If you are like me *cough cough*lazy*coughcough* you can just paint the food coloring onto the fondant.
2. Cut off the "heads" and cut at the waist to make shirts and pants.
3. Place on your gingerbread men (You may need to secure the shirts with some royal icing) and give them their little royal icing insignias.
Step 6: Assemble Your Away-Team!
Red-shirts are awesome but nothing beats bringing a gingerbread away-team to your next nerd gathering.