A quick Instructable that will reinforce a glass salt/pepper shaker to help prevent it from breaking when it is knocked to the floor. This one was designed for use in a pizzeria in the Financial District in downtown Manhattan. It is not pretty, but it is functional.
1. 1/2 inch foam pipe insulation, self-sealing: found at Home Depot
2. Clear Packing Tape
3. Glass salt & pepper shaker
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Protect the Shaler
1. Using the clear packing tape, completely cover the clear portion of the shaker.
2. Wrap it about 2 or 3 times. This is to prevent shattering.
3. Cut a piece of the self-sealing pipe insulation maybe 1 inch wide.
4. Wrap pipe insulation around shaker, securing it with the self-sealing ends.
5. Now further secure the pipe insulation by covering it with the clear packing tape 2 or 3 times.
6. Be sure a to leave enough of the shaker uncovered so that people know what is inside. In this case it is hot pepper.
7. The result is not pretty but it is robust and will cut down on the number of shakers that are broken in a restaurant or pizzaria.