Repairing a Broken Refrigerant Line.

9,646

48

2

Introduction: Repairing a Broken Refrigerant Line.

I have this spare ice maker that I gutted out to use the compressor as a diy chiller. Last night when I was carefully bending the copper tubing, one of them broke. Bummer! So much for copper.

I didn't want to throw away a perfectly good compressor so with some spare parts lying around I went about repairing the broken line. This fix was unbelievably easy and if you have the same tools as I do, then for sure you can fix a broken line and even replace a busted compressor.

As always safety first. Wear eye protection and protect sensitive parts from hot materials. Also no debris must enter the open copper tubing.

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: Adding a Valve to the Vacuum and Fill Line.

Newer refrigerators come with Schrader valves but this tiny unit just had its line crimped and brazed. I had an old brass valve so I went ahead and soldered this onto the line after cutting off the end. I used normal electronics grade solder to make an air tight seal between the line and valve.

Step 2: Joining the Busted Lines.

Using my tool set for air conditioning, I cut a length of spare tubing and expanded it. I basically used it as a splice and soldered the whole thing together.

Step 3: Sealing a Cut Off Line.

Using a small piece of tubing to make a crimp onto this line I filled it with solder and sealed off this unused line.

Step 4: Pulling a Vacuum.

With my Manifold gauge set and vacuum pump hooked into the installed valve, pulled a vacuum for 20 minutes and locked off the manifold low pressure valve then turned off the vacuum pump. I let it sit like that for 15 minutes watching for any decrease in vacuum. Satisfied there are no leaks I went ahead to the next step.

Step 5: Adding R134a Refrigerant.

I had a spare bottle left over from car work I did so I put a little into the vacuumed system. I estimate that about 1oz I needed for such a tiny system but I have no scale so I added tiny volumes and watch the low pressure gauge.

Once I was satisfied enough was in the system I proceeded to power up.

Step 6: Testing!

It powered up successfully and the compressor hummed like a dream. I measured the power consumption and opened the can valve to let some more refrigerant in. Once the power consumption reached 69 watts I locked off the can valve. After 15mins and it used approximately 64watts. The low pressure gauge read -4.5 inHg. I let her run while taking a temperature reading.

Below 10C is quite good! I'm very happy here.

Step 7: Practical Application Testing.

The portable thermometer showed down to 4C with a power draw of 65watts. The bottle of water force over after approximately 45mins.

My Handy thermal camera shows a case temperature of 65C which is very good!

Basically anytime I need to refill one of these tiny r134a compressors I only need to make sure the power draw is 65watt and the case temperature is 65C after about one hour of operation. Also the fill line must read -4.5 inHg.

I'm elated at my very first diy fix for a busted hermetically sealed refrigeration system. The system works excellent and there are no detectable leaks. I plan to use this to freeze a 400 gallon tank of water to store solar energy. At night I will pump this cold water into the house to cool a room! I will keep you folks informed of my progress.

Full Spectrum Laser Contest 2016

Participated in the
Full Spectrum Laser Contest 2016

Be the First to Share

    Recommendations

    • Trash to Treasure Contest

      Trash to Treasure Contest
    • Rope & String Speed Challenge

      Rope & String Speed Challenge
    • Wearables Contest

      Wearables Contest

    2 Discussions

    0
    padakick
    padakick

    3 years ago

    Hi, did you try to cool your home with this. how did you come about doing this. I would try cooling the mattress ;-)

    0
    Mjtrinihobby
    Mjtrinihobby

    Reply 3 years ago

    Haha. Probably the mattress would be the easiest. Right now I'm testing part of the revised system. Hopefully in 2 weeks I can experiment with a room.