On spring loaded garbage cans, over time the spring can weaken so that the top will not open. This Instructable will provide a replacement for the spring.
- 2 screws about 3/4 inch long
- Washer and/or small piece of wood (used both since that was what I had on hand)
- Thick rubber bands
- Drill or racheting screwdriver
- Drill bit
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Attach Screws
- Drill a hole in the plastic can top
- Drill a 2nd hole in the sheet metal on the vertical rear surface of the top
- On the hole on the plastic top, insert the screw through the washer and screw it into the top about halfway in
- On the hole on the vertical rear surface, screw through the small piece of wood (or washer if you have it), once again halfway into the hole.
Step 2: Wrap Rubber Bands Around Screws
- Tightly twist and wrap rubber bands around screws.
- Test the tension by opening the garbage can top.
- If it opens too slowly or not high enough, add more rubber bands, but be sure that they are wrapped with high tension.
- Please see video for quick demo.