Intro: Replacing a Pickup Box With a Flatbed
1. First you have to remove the box bolts that hold the box to the frame and disconnect all wires running to lights and/or trailer lights. You will find six box bolts on the inside of the box. You will need a ratchet and either a ¾ inch, 13/16 inch, or 7/8 inch socket to remove the nut off the bolt.
2. Next, you have to hoist the box off of the frame. Using an electric overhead hoist does this easiest. After lifting the box off you can set wherever you want it or have space for it.
3. Then you have to hoist the new flatbed above the frame. Be sure that you are careful not to hit the cab of the pickup and try to keep it from rotating in the air.
4. Now you have to build brackets (if needed) to make the flatbed fit correctly, safely, and level. This is very important because if you don’t make sure the bed fits correctly it could cause damage to the pickup frame or also it may fall off if it is not properly secured.
5. After doing so you must weld and bolt the flatbed frame to the pickup frame and make sure that all the welds are secure and all bolts are tight. Check over everything to make sure nothing is going to fall off or apart.
6. Finally hook all wires up and check all lighting to make sure your vehicle is road legal again and you now have a new flatbed. Enjoy!